Saturday, June 8, 2019

Fotos de mi teléfono: dos* meses de imágenes

Phone pics - two months of images (that I need to catch you all up on)

12 abril
one of the restaurants where we ate on the Patagonia trip

15 abril
touring the recycling facilities as part of my "study of sustainability"


well, that's what happens, apparently

 17 abril

palomas bañándose (pigeons bathing)



taking a stroll por el barrio universitario




"I don't eat cows, chickens for the same reason you don't eat dogs" >

<  (trying to prove to my parents that this stuff was already here and I had nothing to do with it)

the ruins of an old theater


always on the lookout for "bebidas vegetales"

I spy more vegan things...

biblioteca, rear view



20 abril
ha, GMO
taken by Elízabeth the day we went to San Pedro
  
23 abril
té con leche (obviously vegetal) with Rita, my cultural mentor



The pictures of me that follow were taken by Rita.

 
afterwards, we ended up in el Parque Ecuador
(I'm pretty sure jumping for free is not legal)
but we didn't leave until some guy under the other trampoline growled at us
I could've taken a nap here
 




the classic "please stop embarrassing me with all these pictures" face



lil dude managed to trap himself in the kitchen

24 abril
waiting to go inside?
found these interesting fruits
great juggling practice

they don't look particularly edible, but they did smell good

25 abril


catching some rays

learning how to cornrow

26 abril
addicting once you get the hang of it

27 abril
some photos by Elízabeth of me driving those pedal cars in Talcahuano


the library... inside the mall??

28 abril
(my host sister Javi is #4)





30 abril

got him a new toy

1 mayo


2 mayo
little ears peeking out of the covers

3 mayo


in short, the reason I did poorly on my first exam


4 mayo

look at this filthy little perrito
but it's by far his favorite toy
 
"to change the system, first you have to change your life"

5 mayo
tell me this isn't adorable
<3
I can tell you one person who wasn't amused by it: my host brother
all the way!
the colors are cute, but the elastics break almost instantly

6 mayo
el arco, side-angle view







view from the office building

7 mayo


fall colors
taken by Elízabeth at el Teatro Bío Bío

8 mayo
las cáscadas
in forestales (of course)

9 mayo
visited this place called CICAT Biobiósfera for my internship


experiments that they do with kids to teach about the Sustainable Development Goals
workshop area

I got to do this one about carbon emissions
Interactive Center of Science, Art, and Technology (what CICAT stands for)

this is supposed to represent la Región del Bío Bío


that face should definitely be an emoji


10 mayo
claiming my foot

11 mayo
hey, I recognize those tools... (cue flashbacks)
photos by Elízabeth during our bosque tour



didn't realize how much I missed real Mexican food (none of these Chipotle knock-off chains)
great anti-theft hack - spiky plant in your pack
completos... authentic Chilean cuisine ;)



12 mayo
in Talcahuano

la Tortuga, the sports stadium where I saw another one of Javi's games



13 mayo
Center for Healthy Life; more internship-related visits
the biotechnology research labs





 14 mayo

when life gives you lemons...



15 mayo
more fall colors
this sweet boy dropped right down for a belly rub after knowing me for all of two seconds

16 mayo

my favorite bit of graffiti I've seen yet: "--What would you do without alcohol? --Smoke"

17 mayo
why did you put me on the chair

look at his little cuernos
wearing a bag like a little dress

can you believe I found these here? as an imported food?

18 mayo
getting to campus early on a Saturday for our field trip

part of the "Micro Cuentos" series (sometimes the buses have these little stories)
Uncombed:
When I was a child, I realized it was useless to brush my hair. When I went out, in one way or another the winds of Talcahuano embraced me. Without warning and unconditionally, every day. As I grew up, I gave in and stopped brushing my hair. It was inevitable to try to avoid the coastal caresses.


20 mayo
the dough was great, not sure why the cookies turned to puddles in the oven

22 mayo

studying in the library (finally, a place it's mostly quiet)
first facultad I've seen en toma
So, the concept of "toma" is a little hard to explain, but basically students will seize a department building and essentially hold it hostage as a form of protest. During this time, classes are suspended. Beyond that, I don't really know what goes on. Eventually it ends, presumably when their demands have been answered. (According to my host dad, Forestales is now en toma, and he was surprised I hadn't heard - but I have zero idea how they disseminate that kind of information. Forestales has been in paro the past two weeks (where there's a suspension of classes for protest but no hostage-holding of the building), and I had no idea that was happening until I got to my classroom and realized nobody was there. That's basically my level of knowledge on most things here, if we're telling the truth.)
 

 23 mayo
it's my birthday, too, right?
making a coconut bizcocho (some successful vegan baking)

complete with some vegan whip
(photo 1 from my host mom's phone)
(photo 2...)
cutting the cake
from a vegan bakery~

when I told them what the shirt said, they all started laughing - they just liked the color
"if you feel lost in the world, it's because you haven't yet gone out to look for yourself"

24 mayo
"meat is murder, rape, and torture!" (again, I did not write this)
Odie almost made a friend on his walk... almost
this cake was so good - leftovers for days

25 mayo
look who's graduating!

my brother's best friend, John

that classic pic with Andy
somehow Dad ended up right in front of the camera
those tiny sunglasses
whoo!

26 mayo
also caught the Middlebury graduation livestream
Lizzy (left) and Deanna (right)


inside the cathedral
anti-plastic straw campaign
Chilean cultural history/heritage day
this cafe in the mall - love the aesthetic

27 mayo
inside the biotechnology labs




I put him on the bed like this and he seemed very disoriented

28 mayo
photos taken by Rita after getting lunch together


29 mayo
found out these birds are called Queltehue (higher quality pics forthcoming)

3 junio
walking down Janequeo, i.e., market street
I have a class here, but since it's a one-on-one, we can meet somewhere else
"extractivism is a ~crime against life(?)~, burn the industries!"

first sign of my new officemate (and basically my only warning)



<3
what is going on

5 junio
squishy hongos
more facultades following suit (Arquitecture, Urbanism(?) + Geography)
Bioengineering

6 junio
I was honestly too tired to stay awake during this seminar


hair's gotten to the point of too frizzy to make sense


" - cops, + education" (right before I walked into the zone where they had sprayed tear gas, yay)
but, hey, an arcoiris

7 mayo
"Piñera (the president of Chile) lies"
yes, I was waiting for that anti-US sentiment!

cisnes de cuello negro (black-throat swans)

the other part of Laguna Los Patos





I spy "No a Monsanto"
there is a LOT of anti-TPP graffiti


"you don't matter to this university" / "No to TPP"
an exhibit of LGBTQ+ (here, LGBTIQ+) art
an outside view of the cathedral
came here for the clarinet part of the first-act duet

8 junio
here's a preview of another beach adventure...
there are over 200 pictures, so it'll take a bit, but it's coming
vegan sherbet (maracuyá (passionfruit) and pomelo (grapefruit))

My next post will include photos from today's adventure at la desembocadura. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment