Wednesday, March 5, 2014

To the Ladies: Keep Your Nails

Dear girls,

I am not speaking from the point of view of society when I say that you need to keep your long nails. This is not me stating how it is acceptable in society, or how it is feminine and how every girl should be.

Ladies, those long nails aren't just a pretty accessory. They are actually useful for many different purposes in our everyday lives. Without this evolutionary tool, life gets hard.

Don't ask me what nails are good for. You all should know by now:

  • Tightening and/or loosening small screws
  • Removing the battery cover on your phone
  • Picking up or gripping very thin/small objects
  • Scratching yourself/relieving itches
  • Peeling off paper labels/stickers
  • Effectively flipping/turning pages by sliding between them and isolating the desired page (instead of crumpling the corner with a stubby fingertip)
  • Keeping your fingertips out of direct contact with potential dangers
  • Being decorated and cutesy
While that's all I can think of right now, there are plenty of other uses that will pop up at some point. You might ask, why am I writing this? Why am I stating the obvious? It's a note to self as well as something I hope can save all of you some issues. Recently I just trimmed my nails, thinking it would be good for playing guitar and clarinet and because generally I find my long nails get ragged and caught on blankets and sweaters and are a nuisance. Well, I feel kind of like a declawed cat. I now try to do things I once was able to do with long nails, with no success. I feel like a bumbling caveman.

With this letter, I hope I can do my best to save all of us from feeling like bumbling cavemen and having painful and red fingertips and losing many of our natural evolutionary abilities by having long nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment